Sunday, November 2, 2014

All Saints' Day

1908 postcard of my home church 
Today is All Saints' Day. Beth's parents died in 1995 and 2013; mine died in 1999 and 2012. I'm thankful that, unlike me, Emily knew all four of her grandparents, although her grandfathers died when she was fairly young.

I think of lots and lots of people who are now gone--relatives, teachers, pastors, acquaintances, friends---and I'm grateful I knew them as the years have gone by. It's hard to talk about this without sounding sad or downbeat, and sadness is part of it, but also gratitude.

"O blest communion, fellowship divine! We feebly struggle, they in glory shine; yet all are one in Thee, for all are Thine."

(My thoughts on All Saints' Day from last year: http://paulstroble.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-holiness-day.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment