Sunday, December 4, 2022

"Adam W. Snyder in Illinois History"

My first book was a history of my hometown, Vandalia, IL, when it was state capital (1819-1839). While doing the research, one of the books that I enjoyed was Adam W. Snyder and his period in Illinois history, 1817-1842. The author, his son Dr. John F. Snyder, wrote numerous articles about early Illinoisans. Adam W. Snyder served in the Illinois Senate in 1830-1831, 1832-1833, and 1840-1841. He also served Illinois in Congress in 1837-1839. He was the Democratic nominee for Illinois governor when he died in 1842.  

I've had a "second revised edition" of the book for many years. It was published in Virginia, IL in 1906. Although I wasn't searching diligently, I never saw a first edition for sale and wondered if it had been withdrawn by Snyder or was otherwise unavailable.  But recently, I saw a first edition for sale! The text is about the same length in both editions, but the first has no other illustration besides that of Adam Snyder. The second edition has several photographs of Snyder's friends and colleagues. 






No comments:

Post a Comment