Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Bible Families: Nephtali

After a busy summer of traveling and getting ready for fall courses, I'm continuing my informal study of the Bible's genealogies. I’m on the twelve sons of Jacob.  

Skipping over Levi and Judah for the time being, I’m looking at Jacob’s sixth son, Naphtali.  


Genesis 30

And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.

2 And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

3 And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her.

4 And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.

5 And Bilhah conceived, and bare Jacob a son.

6 And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and hath also heard my voice, and hath given me a son: therefore called she his name Dan.

7 And Bilhah Rachel's maid conceived again, and bare Jacob a second son.

8 And Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali.

The word Naphtali means “my struggle.” 


Genesis 46 is brief: 

24 And the sons of Naphtali; Jahzeel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem


Numbers 26 lists their groups: 

48 Of the sons of Naphtali after their families: of Jahzeel, the family of the Jahzeelites: of Guni, the family of the Gunites:

49 Of Jezer, the family of the Jezerites: of Shillem, the family of the Shillemites.

50 These are the families of Naphtali according to their families: and they that were numbered of them were forty and five thousand and four hundred.

51 These were the numbered of the children of Israel, six hundred thousand and a thousand seven hundred and thirty.


The song of Deborah mentions the tribe (Judges 5): 

18 Zebulun and Naphtali were a people that jeoparded their lives unto the death in the high places of the field.

As Moses looked out at the Promised Land, the territories that eventually became tribal allotments stand out: 

34 And Moses went up from the plains of Moab unto the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. And the Lord shewed him all the land of Gilead, unto Dan,

2 And all Naphtali, and the land of Ephraim, and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah, unto the utmost sea,

3 And the south, and the plain of the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, unto Zoar.



No comments:

Post a Comment