Thursday, July 4, 2024

Back Home in Flagstaff

Flagstaff, AZ was named on July 4, 1876, when settlers from Boston removed the limbs of a tall tree to fashion a flagstaff for the American flag. I'll have to get out Platt Cline's history of the town, to remember his discussion of where the tree was possibly located. A few years ago 🙂 Beth and I actually arrived in Flagstaff for the first time on July 4th in preparation to moving there in August. (I remember hearing on the local news that year that a child had been injured during the fireworks show.) Beth, who was nearly finished with her PhD. work at UVa, had a job as assistant prof at Northern Arizona University. I was all-but-dissertation and had a wonderful adjunct position lined up at NAU, teaching world religions, and eventually I also did church work in Flagstaff. With that teaching job, world religions became one of my primary specialties. The Lord was at work! Best of all, our beautiful and amazing daughter was born there. We lived in Flag for four years. It was a special place and time. (Photo from the internet.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment