Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hotter in Heaven than Hell?

Another hot day where I live, although two summers ago we had these kinds of temperatures and worse nearly all summer.

My daughter's birthday is coming up. She was born in Arizona, and I remember the heat wave that year: the low 120s in Phoenix, the lower 90s in usually cooler Flagstaff. I see 100-year-old pictures of Phoenix people, in their suits and long dresses, and wonder how they lived through each day.

I read somewhere (a person's lighthearted calculations) that Heaven is actually hotter than Hell. The Isaiah passage (30:26) that depicts the sunlight in heaven as seven times brighter, implies a certain level of heat in Heaven, greater than the burning point of the brimstone that fuels Hell's flames (e.g., Revelation 19-21). Always good to recognize when the Bible employs metaphor.

I've posted this Ernest Moeran piece before, but it's a favorite, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebP_ehR6oLE Excuse me while I put in my ear buds, walk across campus to my next class, and imagine myself resting and praying beside peaceful water on a hot day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment