Friday, August 5, 2016

For All the Saints: Albrecht Dürer, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Matthias Grünewald

I thought that the saints honored on the Episcopal calendar sounded familiar, and yes, they are honored on April 6th on the Lutheran calendar, and I already found some information about them: http://paulstroble.blogspot.com/2016/04/for-all-saints-durer-cranach-grunewald.html

Although he's not yet on any saint list, in this context I'd like to remember Dr. Roland Bainton, who used works of Dürer and others in his books. For many years, Beth and I have gotten out his collection of Luther's Christmas sermons, illustrated with Dürer engravings, during the holiday season. Bainton was a retired Yale Divinity School professor who enjoyed stopping by and visiting with students during the years I was there (1979-1982). Famously he wrote a multi-speed bicycle around hilly New Haven. He passed away in 1984 at the age of 89. (http://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/14/obituaries/dr-roland-h-bainton-dies-retired-yale-divinity-teacher.html).

He wrote wonderful books, of which his biography of Luther is best known (and still in print). He was also a fine preacher, and a significant witness for world peace. Although I didn't know him well I'm glad to have had the chance to meet and hear this devoted Christian teacher and scholar.




No comments:

Post a Comment