Thursday, May 14, 2020

In Line Next to Jodie Foster at Naples

The new issue of the Yale Alumni Magazine has a short, nice article about the old Naples Pizza place on York St. in New Haven.

During my final year at Yale Divinity School (1981-1982), I was in line for pizza at Naples. I got my pizza at the counter, turned around, and realized that actress Jodie Foster was behind me! She was a smaller person than I realized--maybe 5'2"--but definitely her. 

At the time, Foster was an undergrad at Yale, and I knew that she kept a low profile because of the tragic shooting of President Reagan and his press secretary James Brady earlier in 1981. The shooter, James Hickney, reportedly had an obsession for Foster. 

Of course, I respected her privacy. I said "Excuse me," to her. She said something like, "That's okay," and I went on to find a table. That's my Naples story, fondly remembered. 


No comments:

Post a Comment