Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Old Water Tower

A while back, during a visit to my hometown (Vandalia, IL), I walked to the City Park and visited the concrete foundation pedestals for an Illinois Central Railroad water tower. At least, that's what I assume they are. 

When I was a kid, we lived very close to the park, with its swing set, slide, and creek. The middle pedestal has an opening, quite large enough to craw in and use for all kinds of childhood imaginary adventures. I've wonderful memories of meeting buddies in the park and sitting inside that opening. Any of the pedestals were useful for peeing on, in imitation of the cover of The Who's "Who's Next" album. 



1 comment:

  1. I’ve been curious about the origin of this particular Vandalia landmark! Also my mom tells me that Mike Eulberg had a band in the 60s that had their promo shots taken there!

    ReplyDelete