Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Two Are Better Than One

Beth's devotion for our church for this past Sunday. 

“Two are better than one. . .” Ecclesiastes 4: 9a

by Beth Stroble 

Those are the most memorable words of this passage from Ecclesiastes, a book of the Bible that is at once poetic and proverbial as it contains many points of wisdom and advice about how to manage through life, complete with life’s array of blessings and adversities. This passage expresses the value of facing life’s joys and trials in tandem with others. Verse 12 concludes:

“Also, one can be overpowered, but two together can put up resistance. A three-ply cord doesn’t easily snap.”

As I read these words, my thoughts first turned to the times—present and past—when I have been fortunate to have friends, family, and colleagues by my side when I faced the challenges of life, events that created risk or actual loss and danger, conflicts, grief, and injury. But then I turn my thoughts from what I need and have needed to how I can be that person for others. How can I come alongside those who need an ally, a friend, an advocate or advisor? Who are those who are going it alone and are at risk of being overwhelmed?

Two are better than one. We know this from how naturally we think of people and things in pairs, such as: salt and pepper, peanut butter and jelly, ketchup and mustard, Laurel and Hardy, Sponge Bob and Patrick, Thelma and Louise. You get the idea. Biblically, the number 2 was symbolic of harmony and strength. One commentary I read pointed to these Biblical pairs: Moses and Aaron, Mary and Martha, Paul and Silas, Paul and Barnabas, Peter and John. Luke 10:1 describes the seventy being sent out two by two.

Many of us have found strength and comfort in the words from Matthew 18:20:

“For where two or three are gathered in my name, I’m there with them.”

That was true for the Biblical pairs, and it is true for us. It is up to us to form the bonds that create the twos or threes. As I listened to Dr. Donald M. Suggs, publisher of the St. Louis American, talk about how he overcame the challenges of his childhood to gain an education to become a dentist and ultimately an esteemed leader in this city, he used the phrase “but for.” But for parents who sacrificed greatly and worked hard, but for teachers who encouraged his curiosity to learn more, but for those who provided the financial support to make college possible, and so on, his life would have been far different.

We are challenged to be the “but for” for one another-to form the bonds of comfort and joy and appreciation where our Lord is with us.

May it be so. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment