Thursday, April 6, 2023

Commanded to Love

Here's my wife Beth's devotional for our church for Maundy Thursday. 


Maundy Thursday. April 6, 2023

By Beth Stroble

Commanded to Love


Maundy Thursday, or as it is also called, Holy Thursday, immerses us in Jesus’ final days among his disciples, as he faced the time of his trial and crucifixion. Our United Methodist discipleship resource points out that by calling the day “Maundy,” we are called to focus on the teaching of Jesus in this moment with his disciples. Maundamus means to command.  Jesus uses the activity of washing the disciples’ feet to give the disciples a new commandment. It is here that we should give our attention because the command is for all who are his disciples.

As recounted by John, in the 13th chapter of his gospel, Jesus says, “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

John describes the details of this evening meal shared by Jesus and his disciples before the Festival of Passover, helping us understand that Jesus knew that “his time had come to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them fully.” This was a meal among constant and close companions, bound by love of Jesus and each other. What happens as they prepare to break bread is described by John in an understated and unassuming way: “So he [Jesus] got up from the table and took off his robes. Picking up a linen towel, he tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a washbasin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he was wearing.”

Yet, the act of being cleaned by the one who led them, their teacher and Lord, was anything but assumed for the disciples.  Peter responds emphatically, “You will never wash my feet!” Only after Jesus’ explanation of the need for their cleaning and the meaning of his example did Peter and the others relax to accept this act of love and service.  Jesus urges the disciples to follow his example, humbling themselves to be served and to serve.

Why did Peter react as he did?  Did he think that he did not need to be washed?  Did he object to being washed by his Lord? Did he feel pride, only the need to rely on himself, without dependence on others, even Jesus?

Because of my recent experience recovering from surgery to replace my left knee, I have a new understanding of the way in which dependence upon others’ care affected my sense of self. As I counted on Paul to assist me with the most basic activities and functions, I had no choice but to give up my usual independence and self-reliance.  I needed to accept the acts of love and kindness he gladly extended and to seek help rather than resist being dependent. Of course, I am glad to have regained my mobility and with it my usual independence. I hope I will not soon forget that I am and can be more vulnerable as a choice and a necessity. As I consider Jesus’ teaching, I want to respond to the call to serve others and to heed the command of Maundy Thursday: the command to love. 


Dear Lord, as we stand in awe of your grace, your time with us in this world, your journey to the cross, your sacrificial love for us, and your redeeming gift of salvation, we seek to live as you command. Teach us how to follow your new commandment: to love you and love each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment