Monday, June 25, 2012

Sophie B.'s "The Crossing"

Sophie B. Hawkins performing
in Canton, Ohio in 2002
Copyright 2012 by Paul E. Stroble
Here’s a shout-out for the new CD by Sophie B. Hawkins, “The Crossing.” She’s a singer-songwriter whom I’ve enjoyed for several years. I’m sitting here with my morning coffee, listening to the songs, the day after I received the new release in the mail.

I became aware of Hawkins from a chance viewing of the video of her song “Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover,” from her first CD, “Tongues and Tails.” It was a dynamic song, emotionally honest, and her “look” in the video became a familiar one: tattered jeans, bare feet, and thick cascades of wavy hair around her pretty, sharp features. I didn’t purchase the CD at that time, and I don’t remember why I finally purchased “Whaler” in 1995, which had been in stores for a while, but perhaps the song “As I Lay Me Down,” ubiquitous that spring and summer, reminded me of that earlier song and video.

Wow! "Whaler” was an overwhelming CD, more than the gentleness of "As I Lay Me Down" would've indicated. It grabbed me from the beginning and held on through the first several songs, then quieted to less rocking, more jazzy pieces and torch songs. I soon purchased “Tongues and Tails,” perhaps a little more poetically even, but that CD was similarly overwhelming, stylistically varied, and experimental. I remember an interview on “Regis and Kathy Lee,” where she said she considers herself a songwriter first---a songwriter who sings---and I’ve always thought that she’s remarkably talented as a songwriter, singer, and player of several instruments. I didn’t think many artists were in her league.

We lived in Kentucky at the time, and my teaching job was over in Indiana. I was also just starting a new career, doing freelance writing of church curriculum. For several years I played some Sophie B. every day. I’ll always associate her music with my long commute along the Ohio River and across the bridge. Her music also put me in a very upbeat, inspired mood as I worked on my writing. “California, Here I Come” is perhaps my favorite of her songs, but also "Only Love" and “No Connection,” and I could list several songs of which I'm very fond.

I thought that “Timbre” and “Wilderness” contended to be more stylistically similar to the later songs on “Whaler,” but she remained varied in her approach, mixing jazz, rock, and popular styles, and she's consistent in her emotional honesty. I enjoyed her live album, too, especially since I saw her perform in Canton, OH in 2002 with a star-struck crowd. “The Crossing” is her first album of new songs for several years.

I was going to write a little more about her career, but meanwhile I found this article that discusses her work and life, including the familiar story of the issues surrounding the release of “Timbre.”  http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/06/21/sophies-choice/  The article notes that her biggest commercial success is probably behind her, but I know that anytime I post something on Facebook about her, some of my friends add appreciative comments about her music.

No comments:

Post a Comment