Monday, July 7, 2014

"The Way"

I inherited my father's interest in highways and their locations. During our vacation this summer, we were in Chattanooga, driving U.S. 27 around the area of Lookout Mountain and the downtown. But route 27 also goes through Richmond, Indiana, where we often stop for the night when we have a long trip on Interstate 70. Not too long ago I'd stood barefoot in line at the Dairy Queen in Richmond to get a cone before I retired to the motel for the night. Earlier in our vacation, passing through Virginia's Richmond, I noticed an exit for U.S. 33 and felt curious, because I knew that 33 went through Columbus, OH. Looking at a map, I hadn't realized that 33 has a very diagonal route.

I always liked the early name for Christianity found in the book of Acts, "The Way." I wonder if the name "Christian" can be used like a proud label, an indication that you're better than other people, or that you hold to some political or social position that's "right" (never mind the variety of such positions that we find among Christians). "The Way" sounds more like we're in process (which we all are), still devoted to God (like the term used in the Qur'an, "the straight path"), but on the route that God has shown us. We know we're imperfect, needy, and not yet at our destination, but we're oriented (and led) in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment