Thursday, September 18, 2014

Homecoming

A quiet little day with no classes, so I'm working at home on writing projects. This weekend is Webster University's homecoming, so my wife (the WU president) and I have some school functions to attend, especially alumnal events. Beth has infinity more energy than I do, so I have to pace myself a bit when the week is particularly busy.

I've never participated in any homecoming weekends of schools I attended, but Beth and I enjoyed visiting our daughter when she was in college in Pennsylvania. Since she was in the minority as an out-of-state student, we made sure she didn't feel left out when other students' families descended upon the college town.

When I was a county pastor, years ago, I liked the custom of church homecomings. They're services set on or around the date of the congregation's founding. People who grew up at that church return, and the occasion becomes a family reunion both of literal families and the body of believers. Also, church members who have passed on are remembered and acknowledged. The potluck food was always delicious and the fellowship happy.

I've tossed some church-growth books aside when the authors criticized churches that are too past-oriented. I do agree that a church took preoccupied with "how things have always been done" is not a healthy congregation. A popular biblical story in that regard is the Israelites' longing for Egypt while they trudged through the wilderness, uncertain about the Lord's ongoing provision.

And yet a congregation that does not acknowledge the past contributions of people, and the heritage of that church, can be unhealthy in a different sort of way---snobbish toward the past while pursuing a vision for the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment