Sunday, February 23, 2020

Faure's "Pavane"

When I was in divinity school, resting in my dorm room in the afternoon, I was listening to a record that I'd just purchased: Faure's "Requiem," with the King's College Choir Of Cambridge conducted by David Willcocks (Seraphim S 60096). The Requiem's last movement, "In Paradisum," was followed by another piece, by Faure, "Pavane," that filled out Side 2.

I had never heard this music before, and purchased the LP on a friend's recommendation. Yet, I felt like I already knew the "Pavane" very well. But from where? It was a lovely moment of both discovery and familiarity.

A Facebook friend posted this lovely rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXZy_41FWs&feature=youtu.be&t=7&fbclid=IwAR1nAzxyqa3YVlVd_ihta1kpHczoJuOBj4GhLxICP77zUNf_K6slz_vd0Fc



No comments:

Post a Comment