Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Cool Haydn Ring Tone

More amateur "musicology." During our recent, weeklong visit to London, I played a little of Joseph Haydn's 100th symphony, stored on my iPad-- that is, one of Haydn's "London symphonies" (93-104). It may seem like a slightly cheesy thing to do, but I was trying to make some kind of cheerful, spiritual/aesthetic connection as we visited that city for the first time. I could've played some Purcell or Handel after we saw their graves at Westminster Abbey (plus, we saw some "Messiah" manuscripts in Dublin, where the oratorio premiered in 1741, at Trinity College's Long Room), or I could've played some favorite pieces by Elgar and Britten, who have memorials at the abbey, near the grave of Ralph Vaughan Williams. The next time we visit the city, I want to see Abbey Road studios, the site of the UFO Club, and other such places to gain a sense of more recent musical heritage.  

Having a Haydn ring tone is pretty cheesy, too (the slow movement of the 46th symphony), but since I despise the sound of a phone, it's a pleasant alternative to many ring tones. This bit of Haydn music was denied to me in the UK and Ireland because I'd neglected to check with my phone company if I had the proper service functions for overseas calls. The second movement of the Op. 76 No. 3 "Emperor" string quartet would be a pretty ring tone, too (because it's the tune of "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken," and not because it's the tune of "Deutschland Über Alles," LOL).

That quartet was one of the first CDs I ever purchased, in the late 1980s when I realized that my favorite record store in Flagstaff no longer carried LPs. I'd held out on purchasing CDs until the inevitable. During my earlier, student days, I noticed sets of the Dorati-conducted LPs of Haydn's complete symphonies at a record shop. Uncertain which set to try, I didn't purchase any.* But in Flagstaff, I was pleased to find a 6-LP set of Haydn's London symphonies--conducted by Karajan and featuring a pretty rainbow cover---at the then-new Bookman's store. For our long road trips, Beth and I liked a Haydn cassette of the famous trumpet concerto, organ concerto #1 and horn concerto #1.  So I liked Haydn from a few pieces.

I liked him enough to risk a few dollars for an Adam Fischer-conducted, 33-CD set of Haydn's 104 symphonies plus two string quartets for which woodwind parts were discovered, and a sinfonia concertante. That was a wise purchase. I love playing this music during the day when I'm home working. Four or five times over the past few years, I've made it a little "project" to begin with the first disc and play the whole set over a period of weeks.

I don't listen attentively to all the music; it's in the background as I write. But that's a way to discover favorite music as certain passages and movements stand out in my subconscious mind. Almost inevitably, I "perk up" to a slow movement or a menuetto movement: for instance, the minuets of symphonies 61, 71, and 80. My favorite movement from all the symphonies is the slow movement of 44, the "Trauer" ("Mourning") symphony. But I also enjoy the entire symphonies 6, 7, and 8--- named Morning, Midday, and Evening---as well as 16, 22 ("Philosopher"), 82 ("The Bear"), and others. Every time I do a "marathon" I discover a few favorite.  

The April 2009 issue of Gramophone, page 110, contains this comment from critic Geraint Lewis as he reflected on the 200th anniversary of Haydn's death.

"When he died in 1809, no previous composer in the entire history of music had enjoyed such universal and unanimous acclaim. So something obviously went wrong to turn him into Tovey's 'Haydn the Inaccessible' in 1932 (the bicentenary of his birth) and to become Holloway's 'well kept secret' today. With supreme irony, it was the immediate and subsequent evolution of Western music that unwittingly eclipsed and then proceeded to distort a general understanding of most of the output of its essential progenitor, while none the less retaining his essential DNA deep within his being. Whoa there, you may well be tempted to interject! But just imagine that Haydn had perished in the devastating fire which destroyed his tiny house in Eisenstadt's Klostergasse on August 2, 1767. Where then would have been the grit which gave birth to the pearl in Mozart's oyster-shell? And what would have become of young Beethoven without those pivotal 18 months in 1792-93 spent sitting at Haydn's elbow and looking over his shoulder?"

A couple years ago I subscribed to a new magazine, Listen: Life with Classical Music. In the second issue (May/June 2009), David Hurwitz writes about “Music’s Greatest Innovator.” Haydn “enlarged the expressive scope of [instrumental] music to include not just happiness and sadness in varying degrees, but also humor, irony, desolation, ambivalence--the entire gamut of emotional expression” (p. 53). Haydn’s music differs from previous music because “it “involves a uniquely musical quality (that branch of harmony called ‘tonality,’ or more commonly ‘key’) that Haydn used as the organizing principal of a large instrumental work--what later became known as ‘sonata form.’ This later term… in Haydn’s hands really means turning a piece of music into a related series of dramatic events moving through time as you listen… His themes have specific personalities or characteristics that we can hear change, evolve and interact over the course of a movement or entire work” (p. 54). Hurwitz writes that “Baroque music tends to explore one basic emotion, or ‘affect,’ at a time” (p. 54), while in Haydn, “each movement shows a whole range of contrasting feelings and seldom restricts itself to just one” (p. 55). Haydn’s discovery of musical development “put abstract music on the same footing in terms of importance as vocal music because in his hands it achieves a similar expressive depth and specificity. And this, by any measure, was a true musical revolution, something that had never been done before” (p. 56). Interestingly, because Haydn’s music was not readily available and because he did not fit the later Romanic conception of the artist, his reputation faded and he was perceived as Beethoven’s precursor (p. 56).

I want to give a shout-out to Haydn's brother, Michael, too. I recently purchased a CD set of twenty of his symphonies. When I log onto Pandora Radio, I often choose the Michael Haydn play list and enjoy most every piece. Both Joseph and Michael were associated with St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, which we were privileged to visit in 2007 when my daughter's choir toured central Europe and sang there for a noon service.

* 2013 update: I downloaded the whole Dorati set onto my iPad. It's a wonderful interpretation, and I've read reviewers who prefer Dorati's set to Fischer's. But although I enjoy the symphonies on my iPad, I still prefer Fischer's set, where the prettiness of adagio and minuet movements seem (to me, at least) to stand out a little more.

A Facebook friend said that this picture looks like a very fancy Etch-a-Sketch, LOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment