Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dag Hammarskjöld's Room of Quiet

I noticed in one of my devotional guides that today is the anniversary of Dag Hammarskjöld's death in 1961 at the age of 56 (my age now). Too young that year to remember, I do recall some of my family and some church members referring to his posthumously-published Markings. The book is one of the popular spiritual texts that I associate with my general awareness of 1960s culture, and also with the years between my childhood Sunday school classes and the renewal of faith that I enjoyed during my freshman year in college.

When my wife Beth and I visited the United Nations a few years ago during a business trip to the city, I discovered the meditation room with which I was unfamiliar. What a moving experience, pausing for several minutes in that silent place. If you too have been unfamiliar with the room, here is a description, with some of Hammarskjöld's words:

http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/dag/meditationroom.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment