Monday, May 30, 2016

Being Clingy

One of the devotional periodicals that I like, "Living Faith," has a devotion for today entitled, "Being Clingy." Are you ever clingy? I hope I'm not, although I confess to feeling needy sometimes. I think of clingy as a step or two beyond neediness, like the times our cats decide to follow us from room to room, demanding attention.

The scripture for today is Psalm 91:14-15: "Because he clings to me, I will deliver him; I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in distress..." (NAB).The writer, Claire J. King, says, "God tells us today that if we cling to [God], he will save us. It is as simple as that. Hold on tight to God. Cling to him. There is nothing to fear." How wonderful!

A long time ago I read a book that explained that David was a "man of God's own heart" because David always turned to God when he sinned and failed and also when he succeeded. His basic orientation was toward God, and that quality endeared him to God's heart, so to speak. Even though we might appreciate a person being committed to our well-being, we might grow weary of them if they seemed to have no other purposes for themselves. They'd seem too... well, clingy.

But God wants us to be clingy in our faith! A negative quality in other areas of life becomes very positive.


No comments:

Post a Comment